The Youth Theological Academy is a week-long residential gathering held at Millsaps College in Jackson, MS. The Academy provides rising juniors and seniors with an environment to think deeply about what it means to be Christian. Our hope is that students will explore the identity given to them by God and the Church in their baptism and be drawn into questions about how their Christian faith intersects with the world's most pressing issues.
While at YTA, participants can expect:
- new friendships with a diversity of Mississippi youth -
- mentoring relationships with Christian leaders -
- thoughtful engagement with critical justice issues -
- academic lectures from Christian scholars -
- rest, play, and prayer on the Millsaps College campus -
- field trips to places like the MS Civil Rights Museum -
- practices of creation care -
- worship in a variety of styles -
- communal living and dorm life -
IS YTA RIGHT FOR ME?
Millsaps YTA is for students who love learning and who desire to explore their faith creatively and intellectually alongside other Christians. The YTA curriculum will build on theology learned in Sunday School, confirmation, and church life. Students with all kinds of gifts, career goals, and extracurricular hobbies are welcome. Because the Academy will make space for students to engage a variety of social issues on which there are a variety of opinions, it is expected that students who come to YTA are open to being challenged and interested in listening deeply to the stories of their peers.